Castlegate

he Castlegate, also known as Castle Street, is the heart of the city. It lies at the east-most end of Union Street, at its junction with King Street.

Castlegate has been a market place since the 12th century, with the ‘Mercat Cross’ in its centre, built in 1686. The whole area is closed to traffic and paved with local flagstones.

Image: aws-castlegate
Image: aws-castlegate

The large tower on the eastern side of the Castlegate is the Salvation Army Citadel, which gives fine views over the city centre and harbour areas.